Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bookanista Feature: Recommended Reads

So yesterday, I talked about how hard it is to really recommend a book to someone, especially if you don't know that person.

Well, today I'm going to try to do just that.

Here's my list of "if you like one, you'll like the other." I tried to come up with some specifics on why someone would probably like both titles--each book is individual, but each has similar elements, so that if you liked the elements in one, you'll probably like the elements in the other.

Let me know if you like this feature--I may do some more of them :)

First up:

DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth and LEGEND by Marie Lu. You're going to have a little while to wait for LEGEND--and I'll do more of a review on it later, closer to its pub date--but I think fans of DIVERGENT are going to love LEGEND.


Second on my list of comparisons:

THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab and CHIME by Franny Billingsley. If you recall my review of CHIME, you'll know that it was one of my favorite reads of last year. It truly created a whole new world where the magic seemed real--and so does Victoria's debut.


And third:
THE LAST LITTLE BLUE ENVELOPE by Maureen Johnson and the S.A.S.S. books published by Penguin Young Reader's Group (various authors). The SASS books (School Across the Seven Seas) are exactly the kind of books I wish I had when I was a kid--a whole series of books that feature girls who go on study abroad trips. They discover new worlds (there are books that feature many different settings--Europe, South America, a cruise ship, and more) and they typically involve a personal mystery or goal for the girl to solve. THE LAST LITTLE BLUE ENVELOPE is one of those rare books where the sequel is even better than the first book--and it's the epitome of its genre.

I hope you like these suggestions! If you liked one of the books in the list, you should definitely check out the other--and if you're looking for something new, try both! :)

To see what the other Bookanistas are raving about this week, check out these links:


7 comments:

Melissa/welachild said...

I got 13 Little Blue Envelopes for free on my kindle. It's good to read you liked it. I just picked it cause I was hooked by the title.

Susanne Winnacker said...

Love this! I loved Divergent, so I'll definitely try Legend. The Near Witch was amazing, too, so maybe I should add Chime to my to-read list!

Alex said...

I think you should do these again. Not all the time, but like every couple of weeks. I've added Legend to my 'to-buy' and I'll read Chime or Near Witch then decide whether to buy the other.

Unknown said...

Wow! I bet that took a lot of thought and hard work to come up, but what a great blog feature. What an awesome way to recommend books!

JEM said...

This is an awesome feature! Please keep it up, these are the best kinds of recommendations. Now if I could just get Amazon to be better about their recos...

Melissa said...

I loved Chime, I bought it off your recommendation and so glad I did! I do have to admit that I had to persevere with it through much of the book, Briony was a difficult person to connect with and the writing and voice is so different and unique compared anything I've ever read. But I am so glad I did, because when I finished this book, I closed it with such a satisfying love of this story and Briony. I just wanted to hug the book and start again from the beginning!
So maybe I will need to check out The Near Witch - but I'm telling you I'm going to have to reorganise my bookcase to fit more in it, the way I'm going this year!!!

Melissa x

pay per head said...

Hello I want to congratulate to them by its site of the Web of the excellent looks like entertained and very good very to me it elaborated.