Saturday, October 24, 2009

Stories Through Music

Dude. Dude. Have you heard of Michael Franti? He's a musician. Not the kind preteens scream at, or the kind women with husbands think about in ways they shouldn't--but he's the kind of musician that I wish lived nearby, so we could hang out and talk, and, failing that, the kind that I could just shake his hand and say thank you for the music.

I first heard of Michael Franti with his most recent, most popular piece, "Say Hey (I Love You)." It's fun and energetic and fills my soul with joy. And I can't possibly put the smile the song gives me into words, so instead, here's the music video:



Now, this is a writing blog, not a music one, but no worries: I actually do have a writing point to make with it.

See, this song--it's not about the words. It's about the feeling. Yes, the words are catchy, easy to remember, and easier to sing to. But the thing that made this song so special isn't the words that make the lyrics--it's the feeling I'm left with afterwards. And that feeling is joy. This song just makes me happy.

Part of it is the realism. This isn't a happy, punch drunk peppy love song--there's some grit to it, a tiny, tiny undertone of how the world isn't made perfect by love (although it is made better). The ghetto--such an innocuously sung word that is only briefly mentioned--is a part of the song, and a part of the music video.

And while we're on the subject of setting--part of the setting is not two perfect young adults in love--it has fat people, skinny people, ugly and pretty people. And children. And families. And the whole village. Love isn't Bella and Edward (or, for you Twihards, love isn't just Bella and Edward) and this song strives to show that it's love--all forms of love--that make this world a better place.

But that's what good writing is about--*not* the perfect ending, but the way life is made better. A real love story doesn't end with happily ever after, just a kiss and a smile and hope.

In writing, it's not so much the words you write, but the impression you leave with the reader. In this song, through the tone and the setting and yes, the words, I am left with an impression of happiness, and a feeling that even if the world isn't perfect, it's not too bad and we can all be happy, especially with love.

Michael Franti is a genius at this--at creating the impression that sticks with the reader. Consider this song:



Now the impression is reversed. In the first song, the overall impression is joyous--in this one, it's much sadder. Through setting (did you notice the garbage pile he sang in front of?), through subtle messages (like the writing on the children's hands), and through the actual tone of the song, you get the impression of sorrow. That the world is a sorrowful place despite the joy, not a joyous place despite the sorrow.

Two entirely different songs--two entirely different impressions. But the point is, when we write, what we need to do is create that impression with the reader. Make him feel--through setting, tone, words, and messages, stir him to emotion, and you're greatest job as a writer is done.

12 comments:

Tamika: said...

Beth, there is a drastic difference in both songs, with undertone and scenery that evokes varying emotions. This is my first time hearing this artist, and I like him. He seem comfortable with who he is and translating that appreciation to us all.

As a writer, I long to create the palace of memories with my readers.

Wonderful and timely post for me, thanks!

Clementine said...

Beth, don't you find it fascinating how the arts go hand in hand? I love music...couldn't live without it. I'll often find theme songs to fit whatever it is I'm working on. It adds a new dimension to my writing. Great post!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I hadn't heard Michael Franti before and was totally captivated by both videos. And you are right they evoke totally different emotions, although the second one does deliver hope despite the sadness. Thanks so much for this. It was wonderful and thought-provoking

Unknown said...

My husband is a singer/songwriter and feels everything through music. He just read my YA ms and said he was so impacted by it that he wrote a song for it - it's a dark song but it goes perfectly with the book. I figure if nothing else, I'll have the only unpublished book with an original soundtrack.

Shannon Messenger said...

Really enjoyed this post Beth. And this is exactly why I have to write with music on. It's how I channel the right emotions for the scenes I'm working on. (I have a playlist for every emotion). I may just have to add these songs to my happy and sad playlists. Thanks for pointing them out to me!

Lisa Guill said...

Good post! You've given me a lot to think about in my writing:)

storyqueen said...

I think you are right....the goal is to evoke feeling.

Nice post

Casey Something said...

Every time "Say Hey" comes on the radio, I have to turn it up and sing and dance to it. It's just one of those songs.

I love the point you made with this post though, Beth. I'll be thinking of it while trying to shut off my internal editor.

dellgirl said...

This is a great post, Beth. I couldn't "carry-a-tune-in-a-bucket", can't sing, and the only instrument I could possibly appear as an intelligent human being on ...is the drums. And, music is such an inspiration for me.

I have never heard of Michael Franti, so thanks for the information and for the totally captivating videos.

This is awesome!

Pen Pen said...

LOVE it!! I actually write scenes based on the "feel" of certain songs-I put that song and just keep replaying it until I finish a scene. I LOVE the writing/music connection!!
I enjoyed both those songs! Such different feels!!
You need to listen to THIS song is you haven't yet-It's R. Kelly-who is kind of a jerk, but the song is incredible! It's called 'THe WOrld's Greatest', and it just makes me smile and spin around when I hear it! It works to inspire my writing AND to inspire me as a person! I feel like Rocky running up the steps when I hear it! FABULOSO! :)
OH!!! and I clicked on ur 'Writing it out' link from another blog a minute ago, and it came up in some nonsense language! I dunno why--it was weird!

Pen Pen said...

I didn't put the link like I meant to for the R. Kelly song!
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfgHdHfgVyE

Sherrie Petersen said...

I've never heard of this guy, but I like his music. Thanks for sharing, and for the great writing analogy :)