Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Finding Time

Oh, boy. I'm drowning over here. I have just started a new school semester, and I'm teaching something that a) I have never taught before and b) I don't even like. So I am up all night writing new lesson plans, trying to find something engaging in a topic that I personally detest. On top of that, I am about a month behind in catching up on crits for one critique group, I'm trying to think of ways to help keep my other crit group alive. I've just come off revising my manuscript, am submitting it around now--with all the stress that entails.

In short, I'm a bit burned out.

And yet yesterday, when I found myself with twenty free minutes of time, a story poured out from my fingers.

Why is it that when we feel as if we have no time for anything, that's when some of the best writing comes forth?

I think it's because as writers, we never really quit writing. Every situation I am in, every conversation I have, every experience I feel--that's all source material. I tell myself "what if" stories during my drive to work; when I read something, spin-off plots form in my head. Even if I'm swamped in my daily life and even if I don't have time to even think about working on a plot for a new book...well, I'm still thinking about it. My brain is still going, still making stories, just as surely as my heart is still beating, still pumping blood.

And actually, the more stressed I am, the more overwhelmed by life and work and responsibilities...the better I am at writing. I think it's a combination between valuing what little writing time I do have and escaping in stories in my mind to avoid real life...which leads into short bursts of writing that's pretty effective.

So how about you? When do you write best--when you're super-stressed, or super-relaxed?

10 comments:

Vivian Mahoney said...

Congrats on the new story! I love when story ideas pop up. And when the ideas keep forming, you know you're on to something that needs to be told.

I can't write when I'm super-stressed. When I have to escape, it's time for a book or movie.

Take care of yourself.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Bethy, you are just like me in this respect! I'm always using everything for source material, and I work best when I'm busy. I go into super-get-it-done-mode.

As for critting, sometimes you just need to take a break from it. Writers understand.

Bowman said...

"And actually, the more stressed I am, the more overwhelmed by life and work and responsibilities...the better I am at writing."

Ha ha. Congratulations to you for not needing breathing room. I would love to have my own writing space and a sign with some cool phrase like, "Emergency? I get paid for this."

Hmm...if I consider my video-game guide escapades "writing," I might be able to agree with you.

PJ Hoover said...

I write best when I can actually have long times of uninterrupted writing time. So nice.
And even though it probably contributed to your stress, I totally appreciated your critique! It was awesome!

lotusgirl said...

I write best when I'm left alone to write. I'd love to get me a sign like Justus suggests, but I don't get paid for this. And nobody leaves me alone for long. Hopefully some day I'll at leas get paid.

Unknown said...

Vivian--I must admit that when I get well and truly overwhelmed, I do retreat into a book. But when it's jut a whee bit stress, writing's the best answer.

Glam--Welcome to the club! :) And you're right about critting, but...I do still feel guilty.

Justus--Love the sign! Must find one!

PJ--I find myself wasting time when I have all that I want. That's when I'm most likely to put it off to the last minute, and when I'm more likely to goof off (intarwebs kill many of my dreams). And I'm so glad that my crit helped--and I LOVED doing it!

Lois--I'm with you on that one!!

Anonymous said...

I'm getting that right now--I don't hate what I'm doing with my main hours, but I'm busier than I've ever been, and--the writing isn't necessarily pouring during my "free" time, but the ideas are flooding in. I think it has something to do with just "being" so much more with the world?

Good for you, and I hope the job gets better soon!

Christina Farley said...

Oh I'm so sorry your stressed. I with you baby! I'm taking this writing class and I've got 12 weekly critiques with it plus my other writing groups critiques. And supposedly I'm supposed to be teaching too! Ha.

I'm amazed that you can write when you're stressed. That is so awesome. I can't. My best ideas come when I'm relaxed and don't have much on my mind other than my writing world.

Alas, sometimes life doesn't afford everyting to be cotton candy. And we've got to write, stressed or not stressed~!

Unknown said...

Becky--So right...wasn't it Wordsworth who said "The world is too much with us..."?

Christina--I know! That's the worst part for me--I hate getting behind on crits...

Marcia said...

This is the childhood/teen me coming out: So, when the teacher hates the subject, does she take any discernible pity on the student who also does? :)

Great question about stress/leisure being better for your writing. I need peaceful blocks of time. Although I'll also say that deadlines work if they're reasonable. What helps me most is regularity, which breeds momentum.