Thursday, November 13, 2008

Currently Reading

It is impossible for me to read one book at a time. Here's what I'm currently up to:

Evolution, Me, and Other Freaks of Nature: Finished. Will be reviewing soon. Quite liked it, actually.

Ida B.: I'll admit it, I skipped ahead. And I saw the surprise twist. But I looked quickly away before I was too contaminated so I could keep reading. I'm about half done, but have put it down for almost 2 weeks.

Queen of Babble: Two chapters in. Sounds engaging, but the main character may end up being annoying...we'll have to wait and see.

The Astonishing Life of Ocatvian Nothing: Half done. But. Um. All I can think about is that letter by a 13 year old boy about what he wants to see in publishing:
To all writers of books aimed at teenage boys, I beg you: please use only modern language, no matter what time period or universe your book takes place in.
The Reincarnationist: I suspect this book may be all about sex. Time will tell. About 4 chapters in, but may not bother with the rest, despite the high recommendations that came with it.

The People of Sparks
: So far (about 3/4 way through) not as good as Ember. It feels very much like a transition book, and while there have been some good moments, I fluctuate between waiting for something to happen and feeling as if I'm being preached at.

3 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I read Octavian, and am wondering exactly what the target audience is. Not teenage boys I think.

Unknown said...

I am with you on that. I'm not even sure if the audience is in the teen level. This book makes me feel stupid--I've got a minor in history (albeit British, not American), and there are details in there that I just don't think I'd know without a higher degree in history. And some of those details are outright nasty.

Keri Mikulski said...

IDA B. was pretty good - great voice and quick read. And I LOVE all of Cabot's stuff. :) Have a great weekend.